Monday, February 21, 2011

The Unblinking Ear Podcast: Checking In

I've been doing this podcast on a weekly basis for about two months now. I have to admit I'm a bit worried it's not going well. Certainly, downloads have been down, though this may be due to a shorter window of time for people to "catch up" with the latest edition. But there are other nagging concerns: Does routine make it easier for the listener to take the podcast for granted? Has the duty of assembling a podcast once a week (as opposed to whenever the hell I feel like it) led to some questionable music choices on my part. There's also the issue of the fact that I've been spending my efforts on the podcast and not doing any writing for this blog. (Though that will be rectified sooner rather than later.)

So in honor of Presidents' Day, and public opinion effected (and affected) creatures that all politicians are, I present a poll for you to fill out below. Let me know what you think and feel free to add further thoughts in the comments.

What are your thoughts on the Unblinking Ear Podcast now that it's being done on a weekly basis?


Download the latest The Unblinking Ear Podcast
Or Subscribe via iTunes

6 comments:

Brushback said...

I think the weekly schedule has been a bit much, I think monthly would be better with some more actual written thoughts posted in between.

Brushback said...

Plus, you know, I can't get this podcast to work, and I want to hear which Honor Role song you picked.

Holly said...

Your schedule's cool, but mine is crazy...

I know you've mentioned before how you don't want people to listen with preconceived notions, which I completely understand & totally respect, but if I don't have a track list to entice me, I'm just going to put off listening. I have indeed dld/saved all your recent podcasts, but have listened to nary a one! I listen to real time radio every night, usually fmu, which fulfills my 'surprise' quota.

Including track info in the lyrics tab was a great compromise...

xoxo

PB said...

Brushback-Posted a record review today. Working on an essay to be posted soon. Writerly pursuits are on the back burner a bit but not abandoned.

Holly- I don't know why I stopped posting the track list in the lyrical tab. I think I just forgot and no one seemed to care. However, all bands on any particular podcast are "tagged" at the bottom its post, which should at least clue you in as to what to expect.

Socialretard said...

If you're enjoying doing a weekly podcast and you're not playing weak shit, why not? And you don't have to feel sheepish about playing modern rock if you always choose songs as good as "Treason."

PB said...

SR- I was half joking about the "modern rock" thing. It's just that the past few weeks have found me playing stuff from not just The Teardrop Explodes, but also the likes of Soul Asylum, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Chameleons. It's funny because I might have felt that stuff was a bit cliché a few years ago but certainly not in 2011.

Hell, I could probably play Nirvana at this point. And maybe I will.