Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Problem of Leisure...

What to do for pleasure?

Play the Xbox Kinect™, of course.



At this point, it's hardly considered an affront to credibility for a band to have their song in a commercial but has there ever been a more explicitly anti-consumerist song used in an advertisement than this?

I suppose it's plausible that Gang of Four thought it conceptually brilliant/deliciously ironic to match a song that poses the question above to a product which actually aims to definitively answer it. It's equally plausible that they simply couldn't pass on getting cut a check for what I assume is a substantial amount of money.

Now that they've taken this step, one has to wonder if there are other songs in the Gang of Four discography available for use in advertisements.

I Found That Axe Essence Rare?

I Can't Believe It's Not Guns Before Butter?

"I Love a Man in Uniform" for the U.S. Armed Services?

"What We All Want" for John Hancock Financial?

Armalite is still in business, right?

If McDonald's winds up using "Cheeseburger," then... well, I guess I'll go get some McDonald's. After all, they have cool songs in their commercials.

No comments: